Our Aim: To ensure all families, visitors and staff have positive experiences at the Nursery. This policy will help celebrate the successes and make improvements where needed. All staff within the nursery will strive to build trusting and supportive relationships with all children, parents and carers attending our provision.
Unity is one of our “Pouch values” and staff will endeavour to work in partnership with parents and carers which will enable us to provide each individual child with the best possible care.
The care of all the children and our families is our paramount concern and central focus. We believe that children and parents are entitled to expect courtesy and prompt, safe and careful attention to their needs and wishes.
Our POUCH values are a commitment to the well-being of our Customers, Consumers, Staff and the wider community.
We welcome your views
We aim to work closely with all our families to constantly improve our care and service. We welcome your views opinions and suggestions on how to improve our service and care and will give prompt and serious attention to any concerns about the running of the nursery and how we learn from them.
We anticipate that most concerns will be resolved quickly by an informal approach to the appropriate member of staff such as your child’s key person and it is important that wherever appropriate that concerns are raised as soon as possible in line with the informal process. If this does not achieve the desired result or if the matter is not appropriate for an informal process, we have a clear formal process for dealing with your concerns.
We work closely with the Family Information Services and the Early Years Teams and they help us to sign post and assist our parents/carers with any concerns. We welcome parents/carers to share any issues or concerns regarding their children with the Nursery Manager at any time. We are always on hand to help.
When your child leaves Kangaroo Pouch a Notification of leave form is used to gather feedback capturing your views on the following: -
- If there was any team member(s) that particularly stood out for you?
- Rate your child's overall experience at Kangaroo Pouch.
- What was the main reason(s) for you choosing Kangaroo Pouch Day Nursery?
- Was there anything during your time at Kangaroo Pouch that you were significantly unhappy with?
- If you had a concern did you know who to talk to?
- Where can we improve?
We are always pleased to hear about positive experiences. This tells us when things are working well and helps us to improve our services as best practice is shared.
- You can share your feedback directly to your child’s key person verbally or via parent zone.
- You can email the nursery manager on the email address displayed on our website and our parent board in the nursery reception area.
All concerns/complaints are treated as strictly confidential. Any correspondence about your concern/complaint will be kept separate from your child/children’s record. It will in no way affect the care your child/children receive at nursery.
Kangaroo Pouch takes great care to treat each individual as a person in their own right, with equal rights and responsibilities to other individuals, whether they are an adult or a child. The Nursery is committed to providing equality of opportunity and anti-discriminatory practice for all children and families according to their individual needs. Discrimination on the grounds of gender, age, race, religion or belief, marriage or civil partnership, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, pregnancy or maternity, ethnic or national origin, or political belief has no place within our Nursery.
What is the difference between a concern/complaint?
Concern - is dealt with less formally; a full investigation will still be undertaken, and any learning will be actioned. If you have a concern regarding our service, please address your concern with the Nursery Manager as soon as possible, they will address your concern verbally and give you feedback.
Complaints - Complaints will be dealt with professionally and promptly to ensure that any issues arising from these complaints are handled effectively and to ensure the welfare of all involved. A complaint will follow the procedure given below.
If you have a concern that can be dealt with informally you should discuss this first on a confidential basis with your child’s key person. They will work with you to clarify the issue, investigate it if necessary and from there to resolve the issue that you have raised and taking action where appropriate to correct the issue that you have identified.
The formal response will be recorded on our online complaints log.
If you are not satisfied with the response from the informal process or if you have a concern which is too serious to be raised at an informal level, you must raise your concern following stage 1.
- To raise your concern formally, you must do so in writing by emailing the nursery manager. In the absence of the nursery manager you will raise your concern with the duty manager.
- You can email the nursery manager on the email address displayed on our parent board in the nursery reception area.
- The nursery manager will take the written account from your complaint email and try to resolve the issue with you as soon as possible.
- In some cases, the manager will need to speak to other staff or refer to company policies and procedures, if this is the case, the manager will advise you of this when they will get back to you with their response.
- This will be fully documented on the Concern/Stage 1 form and will detail the nature of the complaint and any actions arising from it.
- If the complaint involves the Nursery Manager, then Stage 1 will be carried out by another Nursery Manager from one of our sister settings. Stage 1 investigations should be completed within 7 working days wherever possible. The outcome of the investigation will be communicated with the complainant within 28 days.
- Concern/Stage 1 form should be signed by the complainant and the duty manager handling the complaint at each stage.
If you remain dissatisfied with the response you can go to Stage 2 of the complaints process.
- At this stage, the Nursery Manger will contact their line manager.
- The line manager will contact the complainant directly. They will then investigate the complaint and report back to the complainant within five working days.
- This will be fully documented on the Stage 2 complaint form and the results will be added to Complaints Log with the final outcome.
- Any actions identified at this stage will be actioned as soon as possible. Stage 2 will not be carried by the Manager who completed Stage 1, a different senior member of staff will independently complete Stage 2.
- Concern/Stage 2 form should be signed by the complainant and the manager handling the complaint at each stage.
Most complaints will be resolved at Stage 1 or 2. But, if you remain dissatisfied with the response you can go to Stage 3 of the complaints process.
- The manager who completed Stage 2 will contact a Company Director who will contact you directly.
- They will arrange a meeting with you within seven working days to discuss the complaint. They will carry out an independent review using the Stage 3 complaint form.
- The aim is to respond back within seven working days but could take longer if there are complexities involved. A meeting will be arranged with the complainant, a senior member of staff and the Company Director to present the findings of the independent review.
- A record of the meeting will be made along with documented actions. All parties present at the meeting will review the accuracy of the record, sign to agree and receive a copy, which will signify the conclusion of the internal procedure.
If you remain dissatisfied with the response you can go to Stage 4 of the complaints process.
Stage 4 – External agencies
If the matter cannot be resolved the complainant has the right to raise the matter with the Local Authority Family Information Services or Ofsted. Contact details are given below:
For users of our Sandwell nurseries please contact:
Sandwell Quality Early Years and Childcare Team
160 Beeches Road
Tel: 0121 569 4914
For users of our Walsall nurseries please contact:
Walsall Families Information Service
Central Children’s Library
Walsall Central Library
Tel: 01922 653383
For users of our Dudley nurseries please contact:
Dudley Families Information Service
The Council House
Tel: 01384 814398
For Ofsted please contact:
Tel: 0300 123 1231
You can contact Ofsted at any point while making an official complaint, though you may find they don’t become involved until the providers complaints procedure has been exhausted.